Monday, January 25, 2010

Who Me?

This is an auspicious beginning to the new year... at least as far as knitting goes.

Owls

I completed this sweater in 18 days. This was possible because of the gauge (things speed by on size 11's) and because a terrible cold landed me in quarantine. At least having a huge, fuzzy, cute sweater is some consolation for a missing a pay-check and spending the greater part of two weeks without social interaction.

So, the lowdown:

Pattern: Owls (long gone free version, although the fee version is quite reasonably priced)
I thought the pattern was straightforward. The only thing that struck me as odd was that the short rows to tilt the yoke were not centered. I hear these rows have been removed altogether from the new version of the pattern.

Yarn: 570 yds of Elann Peruvian Highland Chunky
Love the color. The yarn is softer than I expected and sheds easily. Not surprising for a loosely spun bulky weight. Would buy and use again.

Buttons: vintage Czech glass. Each pair is different. I had enough to do the whole sweater but I thought that was bling overkill. I picked out a set that made the center owl appear to be looking left, a sparkly set, and a set that reminds me of a rotary phone dial. That owl has WIDE eyes people.

Needles: US size 10 & 11 needles, I probably would have preferred to go down to 10.5s and rework for a tighter gauge. That might have made the sweater a little slimmer. However the specified gauge did give a nicely draping fabric and prevented the sweater from weighing 1oo lbs.
I went with it because I didn't think I had enough yarn to mess around.

Size: s/m up to the waist, size xs waist to neck (yep, pear here).

Mods: removed some rows due to different row gauge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! Sorry to hear you got sick :(

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

That is gorgeous. I could only dream of making a sweater like that!