Saturday, January 30, 2010

1:10 English Teacher

There's a delightful knit-along on Ravelry challenging knitters to make 10 shawls in 2010. Eight can be small and two must be medium sized. There are prizes for those who complete the challenge, but (what really sold me) also prizes along the way. It just so happened that I was already planning to make this shawl for a friend, but the contest gave me that much more incentive to get it blocked and photographed. For perspective's sake, I'll mention that when I entered it into the completed projects for January there were about 650 other completed projects before me! Without further ado, let me introduce English Teacher...

shetland inspired shawl shetland inspired shawl shetland inspired shawl

I had my doubts when I was putting in that big black stripe, but after blocking the darker colors became proportional to the body of the shawl. I do hope that it is just what the recipient had in mind!

~Details~

Pattern: Feather & Fan Comfort Shawl - yes this is my third, and I'm not tired of it yet!

Yarn: Elann Peruvian Highland Wool - worsted weight, inexpensive, good sturdy stuff. Will use again.

Needles: US 7s - this gave a reasonable amount of flexibility for blocking while keeping the shawl mostly solid.

After all that grey, I've now cast on with this...

shimmer glimmer

On to shawl number two!

4 comments:

paula said...

I'm behind on my reading, so I'm going to leave a three-in-one comment: the shawl is gorgeous, I LOVE your new sweater, and I'm going to have that poem in my mind for quite a while.

I was getting jealous of your family's gifts until I remembered that we have one, too. Camilla still wears her sweater almost every day and will do so until I can't pretend like it's 3/4 sleeve any longer. :)

Anonymous said...

The shawl is lovely! I like the stripe because it highlights the curve in the border really well. Good job! Excited to see the other 9!

Hilary said...

Rosina! I haven't read your blog in so long...it's as delightful as ever. I adore that little sweater...hilary

trude marston said...

I wore the shawl last Wednesday and my perceptive female seniors, inparticular, noticed how cool it was! Believe me, no one wears anything like this at Logos! It was beautiful against my white hair; I wore black, so the contrast was noticeable. Thank you so much, Rosi--I'm going to wear it again soon, while it's still definitely winter. Tons of love and gratitude!