Tuesday, October 9, 2007

FO: Shetland Triangle Shawl







There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society where none intrudes
By the deep sea, and the music in its roar.
-Lord Byron


Pattern: Shetland Triangle, from WrapStyle
I love wearing wrap/shawl/scarf/poncho things, so this book was well worth the money for me. There are at least 3 or 4 other patterns that I may make or use for inspiration. Shetland Triangle itself is a lovely pattern, and a great introduction to making a lace triangle. I had the aha! moment when I realized how the increases were integrating into the pattern.
I was a bit intimidated to hear this called roving. Would it be very fragile? As I knit though it became clear that it is really more of a low twist single. Lovely, fluffy and soft. Yum. I have a desire to hoard some more... just in case I need to make an afghan from it later or something.
Needles: Needlemaster circular, size 6
Mods: 12 pattern repeats, rather than 8, before doing the edging. This gave me my perfect shawl size - the edging just brushes my waist when the shawl is around my shoulders and there's also enough length to wear it wrap style too. Quantified, that comes to 52" wide, by 23" deep (after blocking of course). It looks a little smaller in the picture because it got a bit bunched up. We're not quite knitwear photoshoot experts around here yet ;)




Verdict: I can't quite put a finger on it, but there is something very comforting about this shawl. It is the first thing I have knit that I missed knitting once it was done... my hands just wanted to keep going. I want to be careful with it, because the white will show dirt, but it is going to get worn!
Finally: Thank you Grandmother for the yarn - and thank you Mr. M for the help with the seaside photograph. My first shawl! Squee!

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

AMAZING! Your shawl is beautiful!!

Senora Fuerte said...

It so pretty!!! Congratulations. I have yet to finish a shawl...

Octopus Knits said...

It looks so squishy and soft -- gorgeous!