Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fall


Foggy morning window

Chinese Lantern (Physalis alkekengi) plant pods, from the farmers' market
It's starting to look like fall around here, inside and out. Yesterday we had three different kinds of squash with dinner. I forget how much I like squash when it is in season. Really worth remembering to stick into the oven two hours before dinner. Now I just have to find a way to get some fresh caramel apples and apple cider. As if to encourage the building desire to hibernate, it rained and rained today. Most of the time sheets of wind and water were coming down, but it occasionally lightened to moments of mist. It makes for a long day at home.


I've started to play around with plying. The lady who loaned me the wheel gave me a bobbin full of pink and purple singles, saying "just take that off and throw it away." It was too good an opportunity to pass by. Above is a two ply, done from two center pull balls.



Here is the remnant of the longer ball, Navajo plied (thanks to this tutorial). I like the grist of the three ply better, although it is very overplied. Somehow I just couldn't treadle slowly enough. In the future I will probably have to make sure that I put some extra twist into any singles I plan on Navajo plying. Stay tuned, lots more fibery adventure in the works!


No comments: