Sunday, January 4, 2009

How I Spent My Winter Holiday

Driving through a blizzard. Buying pounds of chocolate caramels and candied cherries at Trader Joe's. Listening to a masterfully directed Christmas concert that soared into the vaulted radiance of a historic catholic church - somehow so open and yet so mysterious. Snowed in for a day. Eating my mom's turkey wild rice soup. Trying Wii boxing for the first time, and hardly being able to use my arms the next day. Knitting a birthday gift for a friend. Enjoying the sweaters in Hamish Macbeth and The Secret of Roan Inish. Reading (quite disparate titles). Cross country skiing through deep, powdery snow with my husband, my mother and my sister-in-law. Laughing more than any time in recent memory, especially because of a certain Fictionary game which included the following:

Pessomancy: the act of consulting a pessimist.

Limacine: of, pertaining to, or resembling a slug.

Ramfeezled: to be cheated or bamboozled by an Italio-German pygmy goat herder named Ramfe.

One is true, one is so good it should be true and the other is... well, an act of genius that one can't really appreciate unless one was there for the entire 2 hour game.

Discovering that my husband and my mother each have sweet fictionary skills. Enjoying a game where the score doesn't matter. Watching a sublime sunset with snowy cliffs reflected in cold water. Being glad that our radiator didn't give out until we were 25 miles from home (after driving 425 in the proceeding 8 hours). Dear friends and family - I miss you already.

No comments: