No, not that kind silly, this is a fiber blog.
One of my favorite etsy sellers often includes a bit of gift fiber with orders. The little skein in the photo above is the freebie that came with my last shipment. I liked it so much that I was going to order some similar fiber that she had listed, but I was too slow. Man, those batts sell like hotcakes.
So I started to wonder how hard it would be to hack this batt. I had some fawn colored alpaca on hand (far right), and I over-dyed some with a mix of red and black dye (middle). For fun I decided to take some freshly washed white alpaca (left) and blend that in too. Along the way I noticed that I needed some dark brown and some longer, rougher fibers to hold things together. A pinch of this and a pinch of that from the stash and I was rolling...
I'm sure the proportions are different and there isn't going to be any sparkle (haven't laid hands on any angelina yet), but these should be fun. I'm saving them for spinning night, so I'll have to report back later on the outcome :) Meanwhile I will try to make a little progress on this
for my shawl. The astute among you may notice that this is an Ashford bobbin. I still have the Ashford on loan, so I'm going to try to finish the rest of this fiber on it (3.5 oz) for the sake of consistency. I'm still adjusting to the different ratios on the Lendrum. In fact, I'm resting my wrist today because I tried to go up a ratio and overstressed my hand trying to pinch off the massive (over) twist. No worries though. These things take time, and now I have a better idea of how to keep out of trouble in the future.