Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Farmer's Market


The wonderful Mr. M came with me to the market last Saturday and we made quite a haul -tree ripened peaches, zucchini, lemon cucumbers, Walla Walla onion sausage (a local specialty) and Brandywine (sp?) tomatoes. The tomatoes have that amazing thick, fresh flavor that lends itself to a salad - a little basil, a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of cheese. Even better if toast a minute under the broiler.
As the market reaches its peak, more craft vendors are also appearing. I had a lovely chat with the local spinner extraordinaire (she raises sheep and sells raw fleece, roving, handspun yarn and crocheted items). She sits and spins in her booth, which is so fun to watch. A few steps away was a woman with a weaving booth. She showed me how her loom worked and answered my questions. And she sells her fancy towels for only $14! I bought her last red one (pictured above), which I plan to use as a Christmas table topper. I'm too much of a softy to put it to hard use.
I would be tempted to blather on here about the beauty of handmade things and fresh local food, but there is a lot happening here. We have 3 more days to pack things up before we head out of town. The house is degenerating into a giant mess as we try to sort and box everything.
My goal is to get lots done so I can make one more trip to the market this Saturday and sit and spin at the fiber booth. I really hope there is a market just as good in the town we are headed for...

1 comment:

Octopus Knits said...

Yum! I do hope you have a great market where you're moving. It sounds like this one is amazing!