Monday, May 5, 2008

Box Lady

Living far, far from everywhere can make "specialty item" procurement an intensive process. In the last small town I lived in I didn't find it particularly surprising when I couldn't find a book, CD or yarn locally. Since moving here the list of items has only grown... imagine my surprise when I discovered that I would have to drive half an hour to buy ground pork! Naturally this has resulted in a constant flow of boxes to our house. Vacuum tubes, books, capacitors, yarn, fiber and dye of various colors... all our little necessities arrive by mail. This makes checking the PO box one of highlights of my day.


Exhibit A:Today's Haul. The box on the right is the latest installment of Hello Yarn fiber club. The rest is Mr. M's loot.

I think my insistence on walking to the post office both baffles and amuses the ladies that work there. Since I'm a cheapskate, I got the smallest PO box possible, which means I constantly get little slips of paper telling me to come to the counter to pick up all the things that won't fit. The postmaster knows me by name now. They must wonder how my house isn't completely filled up to the brim (I wonder too sometimes).

1 comment:

Octopus Knits said...

Good job, walking to the post office (unless, of course, you get something ginormous) : )